[Histonet] Punch Biopsies

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Tue Sep 17 14:58:17 CDT 2013

Regardless of the size I always bisected punch biopsies and then embedded them side-by-side resting on their flat surfaces.
You have to realize that otherwise you were going to lose half the biopsy during the trimming step.
Also, if the biopsy is bisected processing is facilitated. Place the skin stratum facing the blade, if the dermis is in front of the blade, the skin will be teared off.
René J.

________________________________
From: Laurie Colbert <lcolbert <@t> pathmdlabs.com>
To: "Histonet Post (histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu)" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 3:27 PM
Subject: [Histonet] Punch Biopsies

We are having trouble cutting punch bx's.  Depending on their size, they are either left whole, bisected, or trisected.  We process them on a 9 hour run with other big tissue (skin excisions, tonsils, nasal tissue, breast tissue, etc).  Most of the time, the punches seemed to not be processed well - they are hard to section and we get incomplete sections.  For the most part, all of the other tissue is fine to cut.  Is there a trick to cutting/processing punches? We have never had so much trouble with them!

Laurie Colbert, HT (ASCP)
Histology Supervisor
PATH MD