[Histonet] histonet posting

Kowsz, Kim P kim.p.kowsz <@t> pfizer.com
Mon Oct 7 20:28:44 CDT 2013

A brain artifact (vacuoles in the white matter) was noted in rat brain after extended fixation.  An experiment showed that rat brains fixed in 10% neutral buffered formalin for 4, 10, 15, 20, or 25 days showed a progression of this artifact starting minimally at day 10 and getting progressively more prominent through day 25.  The tissue processing schedule was standard throughout.  The brains stayed in the same formalin through the fixation period.  Have others experienced this artifact.  I'm familiar with alcohol causing a similar artifact but have others observed a vacuole artifact in the white matter of brain with formalin fixation?  Has my fixative deteriorated, if so, how and what is the chemical effect?

Kim Kowsz
Kim.p.kowsz <@t> pfizer.com<mailto:Kim.p.kowsz <@t> pfizer.com>

Pfizer Internal Use