[Histonet] FW: Fungus Controls

Tim Higgins thigginsht <@t> msn.com
Tue Nov 5 13:03:54 CST 2013

I have used orange peel for years. I never had a problem with the pathologist not approving the control for use on patient stains.  Its "naturally occurring", a petri dish would not be naturally occurring in my mind.

Once I verified the orange peel does stain the fungus the same way it does in human tissue by doing a side by side staining the pathologist were fine with it.  Actually happy I was able to save some money.

Most controls you get from other source are not human either, usually it some type of animal. Try the orange peel. I did like the idea of using the some type of moldy meat or having your micro department do something for you!!!!  I have never tried that, but if it works that would be awesome.   Thanks,

Timothy N. Higgins, HT (ASCP), QIHC