[Histonet] Re: Processing thin slices of mouse cerebellum

Bob Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Thu May 30 12:27:02 CDT 2013

Tom Truscott replies to Kathleen [Robert]: >>Several years and a couple
employers ago we attached small biopsies (for proper orientation) to small
squares of cucumber (which had been dehydrated in several changes of
alcohol) with a egg-albumin/glycerol mixture. The bx/cucumber unit was
embedded together after processing and cut and stained as a unit with no
adverse effects.<<

I never saw it, but this cucumber technique was in fairly common use among
gynecologic pathologists 40 or 50 years ago, for embedding cervical biopsy
specimens. The cucumber in alcohol was provided to the GYN performing the
biopsy. I think I'd prefer a gin & tonic.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Maryville TN