[Histonet] Cleaning Dissection Tools

Langsdorf, Aliete Aliete_Langsdorf <@t> MEEI.HARVARD.EDU
Fri May 17 10:00:03 CDT 2013

Hello Fellow Histonetters,

I have some very fine small dissection tools (small Vannas scissors, Dumont #5s, etc) which I use for microdissections (under a dissecting scope.) Afterwards they are often stained with blood or have tissue debris stuck to them. Is there a standard protocol or particular type of soap that you use? I want to get the blood/tissue off, but am afraid of marring/bending the fine tips with scrubbing. I usually soak for a little while in warm soapy water and then lightly clean with a Kim-wipe, but is there a better way? I have also heard some people say they never use soap.
Some of my tools I use with PFA and others I use solely on tissue (no PFA) if that makes a difference in how you clean.

Thanks for any suggestions!

~Ally Langsdorf

Research Technologist
Ocular Genomics Institute