[Histonet] RE: Tracking OR specimens

Boyd, Debbie M DKBoyd <@t> chs.net
Mon Mar 18 10:13:13 CDT 2013

Yes.  We have the OR send us there Operating Room Log, daily.  Of course we get it the next day.  It is what is logged into the computer system.  Not just a label on a log sheet (we do that also).  I reconcile the OR Log daily.  We have actually caught specimens that were being tossed in the trash even though they were not on the exempt list.  We have also found specimens that were left in a room or under a gurney during transport.  Unfortunately, one was never recovered, but we could notify the physician immediately, instead of a couple weeks, when the patient is setting in his office.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Michelle Lamphere
Sent: Monday, March 18, 2013 9:14 AM
To: 'histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'
Subject: [Histonet] Tracking OR specimens

Are there any histology labs that actively participate in auditing the Operating Room on a daily basis to make sure that histology receives all of the specimens that the OR should have submitted?  If so, how do you do this?  Or should the OR be solely responsible for making sure that they specimens make it to histology?

Michelle M Lamphere, HT (ASCP)
Senior Tech, Histology
Children's Medical Center
1935 Medical District Drive
Dallas, TX  75235
Office :214-456-2798
Histology: 214-456-2318
Fax:  214-456-0779

This e-mail, facsimile, or letter and any files or attachments transmitted with it contains information that is confidential and privileged. This information is intended only for the use of the
individual(s) and entity(ies) to whom it is addressed. If you are the intended recipient, further disclosures are prohibited without proper authorization. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, printing, or use of this information is strictly prohibited and possibly a violation of federal or state law and regulations. If you have received this information in error, please notify Children's Medical Center Dallas immediately at 214-456-4444 or via e-mail at privacy <@t> childrens.com. Children's Medical Center Dallas and its affiliates hereby claim all applicable privileges related to this information.