[Histonet] RE: Cytology Staining

Boyd, Debbie M DKBoyd <@t> chs.net
Thu Jun 27 09:13:00 CDT 2013

Body fluids are stained separately as they have a high potential for floating.  FNA's , bronchs, thyroids, urine ect. Can all be stained together.   After a malignant case is reported all stains are filtered and the first alcohol before each stain is discarded.  The first alcohol after each stain is discarded and the others rotated up with a fresh one at the end.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of McCabe, Sara
Sent: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 3:19 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Cytology Staining

I have a question for those of you that also may perform cytology specimens at your facility.  How do you prevent carryover from one case to another?  For example, we had obvious carryover from a pleural fluid onto an FNA of a thyroid case.  This has never happened here (to our knowledge).  Has anyone else every experienced this?  We spray fixed our slides with an alcohol/acetone based fixative before staining them.  Any advice would be appreciated!

Sara McCabe, HT(ASCP)
DuBois Regional Medical Center

This email and any attached files are confidential and intended solely for the intended recipient(s). If you are not the named recipient you should not read, distribute, copy or alter this email. Any views or opinions expressed in this email are those of the author and do not represent those of the  company. Warning: Although precautions have been taken to make sure no viruses are present in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage that arise from the use of this email or attachments.