[Histonet] Processing Guinea Pig

Joseph Saby saby_joseph_a <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Jun 19 17:27:47 CDT 2013

Heather-

I do not know why, but to properly process guinea pig tissues you need a much more rigorous program than what would work for mice. It is very easy to over process mouse tissue.  Even rat tissue needs more processing.  Guinea pig tissue need a program designed for processing larger animals/tissues, such as one would use to process dogs or even swine.

Let me know what programs you have, and I will get back with you with what would work.

Joe Saby BA HT
NAMSA, Inc.

________________________________
 From: Heather Marlatt <hmarlatt26 <@t> gmail.com>
To: "histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Monday, June 17, 2013 10:33 AM
Subject: [Histonet] Processing Guinea Pig

Hello Histonet! I'm a long time reader first time poster. Does anyone have
experience processing guinea pig tissues? I have been processing kidney and
heart but it is consistently coming out mushy in the middle. The mouse
tissue comes out fine even when processed on the same run. I had the tissue
grossed in thinner (2.5mm) thinking that perhaps it was too thick but it
didn't seem to help. Also, it has been fixed in 10%NBF for several days.

I was just wondering if anyone else had similar problems with guinea pig?

I appreciate in advance any advice or tips.

Here is the protocol:

Formalin 1hr
70% etOH 1hr
95% 1hr
100% 30min
100% 1hr
100% 1hr
100%1hr
Clearify 1hr
Clearify  1hr
Clearify 1hr
Paraffin 1hr
paraffin 1hr

All under pressure and heat only on the paraffin.

Thanks
Heather