[Histonet] Blade Rationing Follow-up

Curt c.tague <@t> Pathologyarts.com
Tue Jun 18 14:35:59 CDT 2013

You could suggest that she switch to part-time... :)

That's probably not a good idea. How about recycling your alcohol and Xylene/Xylene substitute? Are you already doing that?

I'm not sure what others are looking at as far as cost to process per block but we recycle all 100% and Xylene, change the processors 2x/wk and have a cost of about $0.11 per block. I think we're the biggest hit is the paraffin, about 1 cs/wk. formalin is cheap, Xylene is all recycled and alcohol is all recycled but a couple gallons of the 100% which are obviously run virgin reagents. I've found significant savings.

I'm curious if others are managing their costs at this level too, if so, what are your numbers looking like?

Curt Tague,
CEO, Pathology Arts

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Teresa Moore
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:23 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Blade Rationing Follow-up

I really appreciate everyone's constructive comments regarding my post on blade rationing.  Lots of you said there are many other ways to cut costs in the lab.  I would like to hear some of your suggestions so I can take them back to my manager.  I'd like to give her some legitimate alternatives to her proposal. Would like to contribute to solving the problem of cutting costs.

Thanks again

Teresa Moore, HT