[Histonet] Blade Rationing

Thomas Jasper Thomas.Jasper <@t> deaconess.com
Tue Jun 18 08:51:32 CDT 2013

Teresa,

I concur with the all the responses.  It seems your lab manager is not grasping the technical reality you must work under.  If you are being asked to save money on blades why not try some different brands or negotiate some better pricing?  That is something the lab manager can work on.  Also, I would think you are doing your best optimize the use of each blade.  You should be able to get 3 good cutting areas per blade before they're spent.  Another consideration is having some blades for facing in only.
I'm guessing the manager is being pressured to cut cost.  I would look in other areas and at other items.  Blades are of too critical importance to mess around with much.
Good luck,
Tom Jasper

Thomas Jasper HT (ASCP) BAS
AP Supervisor
Deaconess Hospital
Evansville, IN

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Teresa Moore
Sent: Monday, June 17, 2013 4:11 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Blade Rationing

I work in a hospital, there are three of us on this particular shift and we cut approx. 200 blocks, give or take a few.  Our histo lab manager is telling us we should only be using one pack of blades (50 per pack) a month.  I'm wondering what other techs think of this especially lab managers and supervisors.

tmoore9k <@t> gmail.com