[Histonet] Paraffin processing native sheep ACL

Jack Ratliff ratliffjack <@t> hotmail.com
Mon Jun 17 08:54:53 CDT 2013

You might also consider using methyl salicylate instead of xylenes. Thanks to the help of Bob Skinner, I have achieved very nice results with native tendon.
Generally speaking these MS steps will take a little longer, but you can monitor the progress very easily by watching for complete transparency of the tendon. You can then even develop a somewhat standardized protocol if you plan to process this type of tissue in the future. You even have a lot more flexibility with MS than xylenes as prolonged use in xylenes can make the tissue more hardened and brittle.
Lastly, it is not generally recommended to put MS on the tissue processor, so I process to the final 100% EtOH, perform the MS exchanges by hand, transfer the tissues into a manual wax step to get rid of as much MS as possible and then finish with three (3) automated wax steps on the tissue processor.
For my wax infiltration I use a 50:50 blend of TissuePrep from Fisher Scientific and EM400 from Leica. I then embed in 100% EM400.
Best Regards,
Jack

Jack L RatliffOwner/Histologist, Ratliff Histology Consultants, LLCChairman, Hard Tissue Committee - National Society for Histotechnology