[Histonet] MMR IHC question

Sue Hunter SHUNTER <@t> beaumont.edu
Fri Jun 7 07:16:42 CDT 2013

Hi Curt
I agree with Mark - you can set up lab developed tests or - depending on your volumn, experience, requirements for FDA approval, etc - you can buy kits.
We often reflex to MSI testing - run on capillary electrophoresis instruments- we have ABI-310s.  Our primer sets are lab developed but you can also buy them.   We also do KRAS, BRAF, EGFR(mostly on lungs), and MLH1 methylation by real time on an ABI 7500.  Easy to set up and run and fast run time.  Kits are from EntroGen, MLH1 is lab developed.  We do manual DNA extractions using the Qiagen extraction kits.
Hope this helps.
Sue

Sue Hunter, Supervisor
Advanced Diagnostics
Beaumont Health System
Royal Oak MI
248-898-5146
shunter <@t> beaumont.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Mark Tarango
Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2013 1:55 PM
To: Curt
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] MMR IHC question

Hi Curt,

You can setup these assays from scratch if you know what you're doing, but if you want FDA approved or to buy simple kits then you need to go with a company that sell that.  Roche just recently had their EGFR assay FDA approved.

We are using Qiagen products for EGFR, KRAS, BRAF.  We use the QIAcube for DNA extraction, the QIAgility for liquid handling in preparation of master mixes, and the rotorgene for real-time PCR.  There are different tests to reflex to at the  point of MMR negative IHC staining.  Some labs do BRAF and/or KRAS as a surrogate marker for sporadic CRC.  Other labs might do methylation testing directly.  We're currently validating a sequencing methylation assay for MLH-1 using Qiagen's pyrosequencing platform (PyroMark).  You should definitely have a pathologist involved in this.

Mark