[Histonet] CAP inspect- It's not about you(lab), it is about me(inspector)

Linda lmdee1 <@t> yahoo.com
Thu Jun 6 14:24:32 CDT 2013

Greetings All,

I just went through my Physician Office Laboratory(POL) inspection recently.

We all have to go through CAP inspections.  Yes, it is a voluntarily process.  We all work very hard and make sure everything is spit shined when they come into our pseudo-homes.

With all the CAP rules changing, all the multitude of sections verses just Lab general, Anatomic Path, and if you do cytology, that section. Now, with the non-exist traditional hospital laboratory being replaced with a central location to serve many hospitals.  Or now, as am I, a physical owned lab, with no pathologist on site.  And as always, being understaffed, required to produce more in a shorter amount of time, etc., essentially not feeling the "love".

Do you feel the laboratory inspection process should change too?

I am not endorsing or refuting any of the suggested process changes, they are thoughts that I actually have heard through the society grapevine.  Such as being taken over by the FDA, or having paid inspection teams, or some other process in-between?  A different set of inspectors who understand that POLs,  are the test(analytical) process and not the post-analytical process(the path report).

I send out to histoland the question interested in your thoughts.

Respectfully,

Linda Dee, BGS, HT(ASCP)