[Histonet] MMR IHC question

Curt c.tague <@t> Pathologyarts.com
Thu Jun 6 11:23:20 CDT 2013

Hello histo-world,

This might not exactly be a histo question but I know you are all so knowledgeable, it couldn't hurt to ask.

I'm looking to add some molecular testing to our menu, specifically reflex testing when there is an absence of a MMR protein, let's use Lynch syndrome as an example. First there is a pane of IHC (MLH1, MSH2, MSH6, PMS2), depending on the results the next step is reflex for molecular tests.
My simple question is this, what type of equipment are these molecular test run on? Are there universal platforms that run molecular tests for a variety of tumors, the only variation would be the "kit" for that specific gene or set of genes?

Does that make sense, what platform or machine is needed to run molecular tests?

Thanks,

Curt