[Histonet] RE: Sections

joelle weaver joelleweaver <@t> hotmail.com
Tue Jul 23 18:14:10 CDT 2013

I have heard of and performed both methods. The variables seem to be with a ribbon, that if some fold, wrinkle, or fall off, you basically have more sections of the same depth on one slide. That being said, if that level is bad or  superficial, you will get recuts/deepers. If they are only needing one depth into the tissue for initial diagnosis or are worried about conserving tissue, then a ribbon might work. If they want progression, then you need more levels, one slide or many. Without going full rotations there wouldn't be much progression in depth in a single ribbon, especially at the thickness one would normally cut biopsy sections. Personally I like levels, one somewhat superficial section that is still a complete outline, one slightly deeper and one fully into the specimen without cutting anything away. Personally levels not only save recuts to me, but provide only one slide for labeling ( less labeling error opportunities), higher staining throughput/TAT/cases, less storage, less slides...you get the idea.  of course ultimately it is up to the Pathologist and sometimes others, but was there some reason given for the change in preference?

Joelle Weaver MAOM, HTL (ASCP) QIHC