AW: [Histonet] Immunohistochemistry TAT

Gudrun Lang gu.lang <@t> gmx.at
Tue Jul 2 06:43:36 CDT 2013

Dear Pat,
here some inputs. If usefull, you have to decide for yourself.

Ad controls: We use for most of our antibodies an "universal-control". This
is put together with tiny pieces of normal tonsil, appendix, skin, liver and
pancreas. If you are interested, look at the website of NordiQC.
Some labs prefer to cut the controls in advance. This can also save time,
but the controls shouldn't get older than a week.
Ad speed: we cut the urgent cases in advance besides the HE with 6 slides
per block. These are needle biopsies from breast, liver, kidney, .... etc.;
the pathologists only have to order a panel.
Ad drying: we often skip the drying in the oven at all. But it is important
to get rid of the water under the sections. (Besides: drying at high temp
for longer period can alter stainability.)
Ad LIS: we also have no LIS, but a light-version of it. We use a
WORD-document as form. The pathologists can mark the wished antibodies and
print the sheet directly onto our printer in the lab.
Ad organisation: isn't it possible with 4 instruments to keep the same
antibodies on each instrument? For example: one machine is the
breast-machine, one for lymphomas, etc. If this is possible, you can add a
"machine-code" on the labels and only look at this code while filling the
machines.

We work only with one Ultra. First technician comes at 6.30 and starts the
first run until 7.00-7.30. Second run is started at 10.30-11.00 and the run
over night is started around 15.00. The most slides have to been cut at
afternoon. And if there are more than 30, they go into the morning run.
This gives for the urgent biopsies an IHC-TAT about 5-6 hours (from HE
delivering to IHC delivering). Most other cases are ready over night (HE
delivering till 12.30 and IHC-ordering-deadline at 14.30).

Hope this helps
Gudrun Lang

Ltd. BMA
Histolabor Akh Linz, Austria