[Histonet] Re: problem with 88305 reimbursement

Kelly Boyd kdboydhisto <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Jan 30 08:46:03 CST 2013

Cindy,

I do not know all of the facts, but yes as of July 1st, 2012, a "grandfather clause" was discontinued by Congress. It states: "Congress has approved legislation that discontinues direct Medicare payments for the technical component of anatomic pathology services provided to hospitals under the "grandfather clause" as of July 1, 2012. It makes absolutely no sense. We are having the same issues also. If that patient was even seen as outpatient, you will not get reimbursement if you are an independent outside lab that did the work. There is a 11 page March 2012 article in College of American Pathologist that explains it better. Also you can search for "Pathology Technical Charge No Longer Billable by Independent Lab" by JoNell Moore. I will be glad to email them to you.

Kelly

Kelly D. Boyd, BS,HTL(ASCP)QIHC
Lab Manager
Provia Diagnostics, Inc.