[Histonet] Re: Fixative for eyes

Sarah Dysart sdysart <@t> mirnarx.com
Thu Jan 17 14:06:19 CST 2013

Don't know what the original post was about but...this is the recipe I have been using for 10+ years that was passed on to me from a veteran HT...it works GREAT on eye histology!!

Sarah Goebel-Dysart, BA, HT(ASCP), QIHC (ASCP)
Histotechnologist
Mirna Therapeutics
2150 Woodward Street
Suite 100
Austin, Texas  78744
(512)901-0900 ext. 6912

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Bob Richmond
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2013 1:56 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Re: Fixative for eyes

I'm not much familiar with eye pathology or histology, but let's get
Davidson's fixative right.

Called "modified Davidson's fixative" in papers published more than 50
years ago, it's
3 parts water
3 parts alcohol
2 parts 37% formaldehyde ("strong formalin", not NBF)
1 part glacial acetic acid

No glutaraldehyde.

I can provide more information if you need it.

Dick Dubielzig (pronounced dooBILLzig) is a veterinary eye pathologist
in Madison WI who can probably help. If you can't locate him, I can
contact him - he's an old friend of mine.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Maryville TN