[Histonet] staining site of bone deposition on live specimens

Christopher Sheil csheil <@t> jcu.edu
Mon Jan 7 09:17:03 CST 2013

Earlier I submitted a question to histonet to ask about labels that
can be used to bind bone at the site of bone formation in aquatic
amphibians.  Robert Schoonhoven kindly sent a response stating that
tetracycline has been used in mammalian systems.  I also recently
found a paper (citation below) that outlines the use of tetracycline,
calcein, xylenol orange, and alizarine red S to identify Layers of
Active Growth (LAG's) in a primarily aquatic frog.

Citation:
Francillon H and J Castanet. 1985. Experimental demonstration of the
annual characteristic of the lines of arrest of skeletal growth in
Rana esculenta (Amphibia, Anura). Comptes Rendus de L'Academie des
Sciences, Serie III, Sciences de la vie. 300(8): 327–332.

-Chris

Christopher Sheil
Graduate Coordinator
Department of Biology