[Histonet] Requisitions

joelle weaver joelleweaver <@t> hotmail.com
Wed Aug 21 17:27:55 CDT 2013

That seems to happen pretty often. When I accessioned a lot it was at least a daily occurrence that information would not match between the jar and requisition, or information was missing or illegible. I have noticed that it is much easier to reach the actual person who labeled the specimen for corrections if you attempt to track them down as soon as possible after the specimen is dropped off.  I have a policy for checking the manifest and then cross checking the jar and requisition during accessioning that requires they travel together in order to be cross-checked. If problems are noted, discrepancies, missing information and the like,  there is a form to document the discrepancies and relabeling needed. I prefer to also note in the LIS, just in case there are still questions later. I just feel that even if it is not specifically stipulated in regulations or checklists that when the requisition and specimen/specimen jar are always together you can catch specimen integrity problems sooner so they can be corrected.  The grosser is also a great checkpoint, definitely.

Joelle Weaver MAOM, HTL (ASCP) QIHC