AW: [Histonet] Isopropyl Alcohol in the histology lab

Gudrun Lang gu.lang <@t> gmx.at
Tue Aug 13 01:54:11 CDT 2013

Hi Teri,
I'm just curious. Is this IPA processing with temperatures about 70°C or
more? Or is it just exchanging ethanol by isopropanol in your usual
processor and protocol?

I ask, because vendors promise no change or even better immunohisto with the
xylenfree/high-temp. method. And I doubt, that they have tested all
"thousends" of antibodies on all tissues etc. I think, changing the
processing is a Mega-project, if you want to be sure, that all your
antibodies work as good as before.
Experiences?

Gudrun Lang

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] Im Auftrag von Teri
Johnson
Gesendet: Montag, 12. August 2013 23:19
An: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Betreff: [Histonet] Isopropyl Alcohol in the histology lab

Dear colleagues,

I am entertaining the notion of switching over to isopropyl alcohol (IPA)
for our tissue processing and have a few questions. I know the xylene-free
processing and microwave processing protocols use this universally, but at
this time I am only interested in getting rid of the
ethanol/methanol/isopropyl alcohol blend.

1 - Are there any known issues with holding tissues in 70% IPA rather than
70% ethanol/reagent alcohol?
2 - Is there any impact on the stain line if you use it for H&Es and
hydration/dehydration of histochemically stained slides?
3 - Have any of you who use IPA found any impact on immunoreactivity when
compared to using other dehydrants?
4 - Is there anything else I have overlooked?

We have pure ethanol available to us if needed for particular stain
applications.

Best wishes, and thanks in advance.

Teri Johnson
Manager, Histology