[Histonet] Sectioning in microtome - last bit of tissue detaches

Maria Navas-Moreno maria.navas <@t> utah.edu
Tue Apr 2 12:58:02 CDT 2013

Hello All,

We section fixed frozen brain that we mount on the microtome using either
30% sucrose or OCT and we keep the temperature down by surrounding the
tissue with crushed dry ice constantly (every 10-20 sections).

The problem I have had, and also the person who trained me also had, is
that when getting towards the end of the block a big chunk of the tissue
gets lose and ruins the sectioning of that last part.

I am fairly new to the sectioning art and I was wondering if anybody has
advice to avoid this problem or at least make it a bit better.

Thanks,

Maria