[Histonet] softening agent for tissues embedded in paraffin blocks

Debbie Faichney d.a.faichney <@t> stir.ac.uk
Thu Sep 27 03:40:10 CDT 2012

Hello Jose,

We routinely surface decalcify the trimmed/faced block for one hour with a commercial product (Rapid Decalcifier or RDC, Cellpath) which contains Hydrochloric acid.  Works a treat!  Alternatively we have been known to use a splash of laundry fabric softener in the soaking water for IHC sections.

Which species of fish are you sectioning?  This can make a huge difference to the timing in either solution.

Best regards

Debbie Faichney
Histopathology
Institute of Aquaculture