[Histonet] FW: holes in tissue sections

joelle weaver joelleweaver <@t> hotmail.com
Wed Nov 14 14:04:12 CST 2012

From: joelleweaver <@t> hotmail.com
To: albert.santiago <@t> uphs.upenn.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] FW: holes in tissue sections
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 19:47:46 +0000

Thank you for the pictures. Yes, this appears to be a physical tearing. I agree with the other postee on the histonet that this is more likely due to microtomy technique. Specifically, due to "rough" facing, and then taking a section too early after returing to normal section thickness with an automated microtome or too rapid sectioning ( stroke speed)on a manual for the ribbon from which the final section is selected. With some skins, if they are somewhat dense, and (the tissue can sometimes even appear white in color if there are dehydration issues), I find that if you face a little more gingerly and then soak them in some very cold ice water and not just hardened ice, then enough moisture transfers to help make it pliable. I sometimes use the warm water bath and then transfer them back to the cold to get a bit more moisture. This always seems to work pretty well and produces a smoother section without tearing.  Most times you can see this artifact on the waterbath if you are watching for it. I never take the first ribbons or sections that appear first on the knife blade with any sections due to this artifact and also the greater thickness of these sections. Alternatively, tearing can occur when the knife blade is not shifted after facing and debris of paraffin and excess tissue dull and remain on the blade( or behind the blade) from facing and then cause tears in sections from the extra drag on the blade edge. Just use one part of the blade only for facing and move to a fresh blade section only for final sections and watch carefully for dragging and tearing as the knift dulls on the water bath. Maybe give these technique  adjustments a try first, and I hope that it will simply and quickly  solve your issues.

Joelle Weaver MAOM, HTL (ASCP) QIHC