AW: [Histonet] certification of histotechnologists

Gudrun Lang gu.lang <@t> gmx.at
Sat May 26 16:00:23 CDT 2012

Hi Jackie,
I didn't read the whole topic posted, perhaps there's a repeat in my answer.
German training as "MTA" (medical technical assistent) includes histology
and histotechnolgy. So they are definitly certified in their profession with
a diploma. I think this kind of education is rather similar to the Canadian
way. Also in Austria, where I come from, we have the training as Biomedical
Scientist in the third education sector, now ending with a Bachelor and
thesis, with theoretical and practical histotechnology.
Theoretically there exists a law that excludes working with patients'
clinical specimens to our profession. But like everywhere cheaper persons
are trained on the job and supervised by hopefully one BMS. If a pathologist
takes the responsibility he may employ anyone, although he/she has not the
specified technical training (doctor and employer).
The registration is another issue. People taking care of patients of any
profession should be registered, because on one hand the profession and on
the other hand patients should be protected against bad lab practice.

Gudrun