[Histonet] Unregistered techs

Thomas Jasper tjasper <@t> copc.net
Thu May 24 18:25:59 CDT 2012

Holy buckets, that's a shot below the belt!  Must say, I'm quite
surprised to see a comment like that from someone with 19 years
experience.  By the by, I understand the registered HT thing, what is a
"Florida licensed HTL"?  Is that something new?  But I digress.

I can see your point about the scam/bleed money thing, but that's
another discussion.  You think monkeys can be trained to do
histology...well, you're entitled to your opinion.  However, the
validity of an opinion depends on its basis.  In my opinion monkeys
cannot be trained to do our job.  I'm quite certain that everything I
did in the lab today (before returning to my office, reading this post
and writing my response) would be challenging for a lot of
folks...pathologists included...let alone a smart monkey.

I'm a bit confused seeing the name Scott Lyons in the post below, so I
don't want to direct my response to the wrong person.  If this is indeed
you, Jay, I've read many of your posts in the past.  In consideration of
that, I'm thinking maybe you're exaggerating to make a point, maybe
having/had a bad day or both.  I agree there is no substitute for
experience.  And I agree that many people with advanced degrees can be
all thumbs in a lab, or maybe have a hard time transitioning book
learning into hands on action.  Come to think of it monkeys are pretty
dexterous...so maybe we're taking this all wrong.

I'm not responding to "light someone up" or get into a war or words
with.  I'll just say that I hold those of us doing this work in high
regard, monkey or not.  And that includes you too Jay...I've not met you
personally, but honestly you're no monkey.

Regards,

Tom Jasper

Thomas Jasper HT (ASCP) BAS
Histology Supervisor
Central Oregon Regional Pathology Services
Bend, Oregon 97701