[Histonet] Immunofluorescence in the clinical laboratory, some questions

Patrick Laurie foreightl <@t> gmail.com
Sat May 12 10:09:16 CDT 2012

Hi Gayle,

We perform IF on renal biopsies and dermatological specimens with various
bullous disorders.  We perform IgA, IgM, IgG, C3, C1q, Albumin, Fibrinogen,
Kappa and Lambda on acetone fixed frozen sections.  These are all direct
IF.  We perform C4D indirectly on frozen tissue due to the lack of staining
intensity of any directly conjugated antibodies, as well as C4D IF on FFPE
tissue and we also perform IHC C4D on FFPE.  Our pathologist's usual
comments about the reason that they like the immunofluorescence is that
they can easily see smaller deposits using immunofluorescence that would be
indeterminate with conventional IHC.

We use an automated stainer for these, it allows us to be more hands off as
well as to incubate them in the dark.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

--
Patrick Laurie HT(ASCP)QIHC
CellNetix Pathology & Laboratories