[Histonet] RE: Frozen brains on cryostat

Reynolds,Donna M dreynold <@t> mdanderson.org
Thu May 3 09:42:27 CDT 2012

I cut mouse brains frozen in OCT with very little problem.  I bring the Cyrostat temp up to between -15 to -13. Pick them up with a warm slide and seldom have a wrinkle. Brains are  unfixed placed in OCT and frozen with liquid nitrogen.
Donna Reynolds, Chief Histology Lab (IHC)
U.T,  M.D. Anderson Cancer Center
Houston, Texas
713-792-8106

Message: 11
Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 12:53:13 -0400
From: "Andrea Ferullo (non-Celgene)" <aferullo <@t> celgene.com>
Subject: [Histonet] Frozen brains on cryostat
To: "Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu"
	<Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>

Hello everyone,

I recently received rat brain samples that were frozen in liquid nitrogen and embedded in OCT.  I sectioned them on the cryostat and they are coming out very wrinkled, no matter what technique I use to pick them up.  I would appreciate any tips/tricks  that anyone has to offer.  Forebrain sections are ok, but mid, hind-brain, and cerebellum are giving me a very hard time.  Thanks and I look forward to your advice.

Andrea