[Histonet] Chemical Fume Hoods

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Mar 28 07:08:59 CDT 2012

When you have a fume hood in your lab you should have it tested, at least once a year, by somebody that can quantify the air flow at the hood's entrance.
I used to do that and I also had at the entrance (my lab had 5 fume hoods) I installed a small plastic air vane. The vane moved across a calibrated scale indicating the feet/minute of the air flow.
We checked the vanes daily and recorded the readings in the scale. Those records, along with the more precise annual measurements, were part of our CAP inspection check list.
Those vanes are not expensive and you can install them easily.
René J.

--- On Tue, 3/27/12, Laurie <@t> blufrogpath.com <Laurie <@t> blufrogpath.com> wrote:

From: Laurie <@t> blufrogpath.com <Laurie <@t> blufrogpath.com>
Subject: [Histonet] Chemical Fume Hoods
To: "Histonet post" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Date: Tuesday, March 27, 2012, 7:26 PM

   Can anyone expand on the following CAP checklist question: <= /div>

=

   GEN.71450

   = Fume Hood Verification

   Phase II

There  is  a function verification prog= ram for chemical fume
   hoods required by the laboratory's Chemical Hygiene P= lan.

   Evidence of Compliance:

   ✓=         Written  procedure  for chemical fume hood function
   verification[DEL:   :DEL] AND<= /FONT>

   [DEL: ✓      :DEL] Records of function verification

   What  do  they mean by "function verification?"  Does this m= ean that
   lab personnel just have to do a function test and make sure the ho= od
   is  working,  or  does  an  outside  company have to test the hood for
   correct=  airflow  and  then  certify  it?   At my last job, we had an
   outside compa= ny come out annually to test and certify the hoods.

   Laurie Colbert