[Histonet] Re: PAS Diastase

Theresa (Teri) Johnson TJohnson <@t> gnf.org
Thu Mar 15 11:21:47 CDT 2012

I disagree that two patient slides are needed. What is needed for diagnosis is one patient slide with digestion, and two control slides, one with and one without. If the control slide shows adequate digestion of the glycogen and the other control slide shows adequate PAS positivity, the pathologist can be assured that if the patient slide has any PAS positivity it is not due to glycogen. I am guessing this is only in cases where they are not concerned with glycogen storage as part of the diagnosis (liver biopsy).

Ask your pathologist what he or she is looking for. My guess is it is not glycogen, but some other PAS positive component.

On 3/15/2012 1:47 AM, Jennifer MacDonald wrote:
> Hi All,
> At a local lab when a pathologist orders a PAS diastase the
> histotechnicians do just one slide with diastase.  They do not do an
> undigested slide.  How would the pathologist know if the digested slide
> had a glycogen to begin with?  Am I over thinking this?
> Thanks,
> Jennifer

Teri Johnson, HT(ASCP)QIHC
GNF Histology Lab Manager
Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation
858-332-4752