[Histonet] Re: Tolivia, Navarro and Tolivia

Shanon Pink shanonpink <@t> gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 08:55:13 CDT 2012

Hi Again Gayle,

I'm sorry I was not very clear; I have already downloaded and read the
publication, and I am trying the procedure out today. I was wondering
about using a couple of substitutions and thought I might ask if
anyone has tried this procedure before.

I am on a four-week research project trying to find a nice
polychromatic stain to use for epon-embedded thick sections for
researchers here at the EM lab at St. Jude Children's Research
Hospital in Memphis. Normally they just use Toluidine Blue, but in
some cases researchers would like to have better differentiation on
their thick sections. Initially we were trying to find a stain that
approximates H&E since that's a familiar stain, but I've only had
mediocre results with the following stains: (1) Toluidine Blue/Sodium
Borate, followed with Basic Fuchsin, and (2) a homemade Paragon stain.
The staining procedure described in the aforementioned publication is
performed at  room temperature and is relatively fast. But as you
point out, it involves phenol which is not fun to work with.

Thanks to you and anyone else who has any thoughts!

--Shanon Pink