[Histonet] Oil red O versus Sudan 4

Candice Smoots candice_camille <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Jan 25 10:21:12 CST 2012

Hi Histonetters

I am staining the plaques in aorta. I perfuse my animal with pbs before I biospy the aorta. I then pin the aorta down onto a wax plate and  then i stain the inside of the aorta for my plaques.

This seems to work well with the Sudan 4 but not so much with the Oil red o. The person who was doing the sudan 4 is no longer here and we have plenty of Oil red o. My thinking was that it should stain the same but I am not getting results with the Oil red o.

My question is what is the difference and what should I do differently with the Oil red o?

Thanks so much for your help!

I remain yours truely,

Candice Camille