[Histonet] Re: sample woes

Theresa (Teri) Johnson TJohnson <@t> gnf.org
Mon Jan 23 10:16:20 CST 2012

Patsy,

In my opinion, the samples should have been fine to re-freeze provided they had no freezing artifact from the first time they were frozen. They were fixed and cryoprotected so they might just turn out fine. It certainly might have been worth a try to take a sample, equilibrate it in 100% OCT and try snap freezing first, cutting a section and H&E staining to look at the morphology. I'm thinking that it might have been just fine.

Removing the OCT and sucrose for paraffin sectioning should have been fairly easy. I am surprised they are still soft and squishy after processing.

As for what antibody to try, what species are these pancreas samples from?

Teri Johnson, HT(ASCP)QIHC
GNF Histology Lab Manager
Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation
858-332-4752