[Histonet] Music in the Laboratory

Davide Costanzo pathlocums <@t> gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 20:55:26 CST 2012

The "F" word, among several others is not appropriate in a workplace.
It's not appropriate anywhere, but we have control over the workplace.
I have never, and will never allow inappropriate music at the
workplace. The best way to prevent it, without your staff
claiming"prejudice" as they so love to do, is ban music in the lab
altogether. This is work, not a party.

Sent from my Windows Phone
From: Traczyk7 <@t> aol.com
Sent: 1/17/2012 6:37 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Music in the Laboratory
Greetings.
I would like to know what other histology laboratories allow for music
players while working.  Do you have formal policies about music content or
volume?  Do you allow lab space doors to remain closed to muffle the volume  of
what is being played?  Are headsets allowed?
I am a terrible judge of this because I personally prefer to work in a
quiet environment.  I am trying to be open minded, as long as the work gets
done.  However, one of the techs had a song playing today that I  believe was
inappropriate for general listening in the lab.  Am I just out  of touch?
Is that dang "F" word just something I'm going to have to learn  to accept?
Do you have a written policy?  When/how/why was it  implemented?
I should mention that it's a small private lab, with minimal patient
traffic.  We do see our share of FedEx, UPS, sales & service  reps.
Your ideas on this is very much appreciated.
Dorothy