[Histonet] Clearing NBT/BCIP precipitate from wax sections

Andrew Gillis jag93 <@t> cam.ac.uk
Thu Jan 5 14:18:06 CST 2012

Hello,

I have some paraffin sections that I've used for immunohistochemistry
(using an alkaline phosphatase-conjugated secondary antibody and
NBT/BCIP as a substrate), and coverslipped with an aqueous mounting
medium (Fluoromount G). I would now like to de-coverslip and re-stain
these sections with a different histochemical protocol (i.e. Masson's
trichrome or H&E). Does anybody know if there is a way to "clear away"
the colour reaction precipitate from my previous IHC? If, after
decoverslipping, I dehydrate and then rehydrate the sections, will this
do the job?

Thanks very much,
Andrew