[Histonet] anti static spray

Rick Tiefenauer gonavy2003 <@t> gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 10:53:35 CST 2012

Liz

During my Navy days to help prevent static problems off X-ray films, we
used a 95(ish)% isopropyl and water mix in a squeeze spray bottle.  A very
light mist before opening the paper film holders, and allowing it to
completely evaporate, normally did the trick.
I know of one histo lab here in Cali. that does a light spray of ethyl mix
periodically on their blocks while chilling before microtomy, don't think
they have much static issues.

Watch out for over the-counter sprays from a local store, many have Butane
and/or Propane (refrigerant types), and some
have 1,1-Difluoroethane (normally found in computer canned air).  Many have
some type of fluorine-byproducts because of the high electronegativity.

Cotton lab coats, and the humidity trick are also helpful.

Good luck.

Rick T.