[Histonet] Bleaching in the histo lab

angela smith we3smitty <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Feb 1 07:57:27 CST 2012

I have been told by our safety officer that it is standard practice too clean the lab at the end of the day with diluted bleach. I have noticed a chemical reaction (smell) when cleaning the main area of the lab. I have concerns that this is not a good practice due to chemical reactions as we use so many chemicals in histology. What do other people do?  Also I believe it is unsafe to use bleach with anything formalin related.
Please let me know if you have a "standard" practice or mandated cleaning from your facility.
Angela