[Histonet] Histotechnician Salary 2

Akemi Allison akemiat3377 <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Dec 19 17:22:02 CST 2012

Tim:

I have worked in California since 1998, both in the SF Bay area and LA.  The cost of living is extremely high in these two areas compared to the rest of California, and certainly higher than most of the country.

Working as a manager in clinical and bio-tech settings, I found it difficult to find a histologist that was well rounded in all aspects of histology and IHC labs.  The histologists that were suitable to hit the ground running were compensated accordingly.  The average pay range paid for a registered HT/HTL was $25.00 to $40.00 per hour.

There are a few bio-tech companies in the SF Bay area that hire unregistered histo techs and pay them $15.00 an hour.  They primarily cut control tissues and do the less complicated assignments,

I also know of several clinical histology laboratories in LA and SF that hire unregistered histo tech's and pay them $15.00 to $20.00 an hour.  You have to understand that we do not require registered histo techs to work in a lab as long as they have a registered supervisor.  The quality of work is compromised because these techs do not have the knowledge of theory and practice,  You pretty much get what you pay for.

I was told a couple of years ago from a very good source that a recent graduate of a LA histology program who passed their HT registry with a year of experience was paid $25.00 an hour to start.

Hope this helps.

Akemi Allison BS, HT(ASCP)HTL
Director
Phoenix Lab Consulting
E-Mail: akemiat3377 <@t> yahoo.com

________________________________
From: "Morken, Timothy" <Timothy.Morken <@t> ucsfmedctr.org>
To: Tim Wheelock <twheelock <@t> mclean.harvard.edu>; "histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 12:14 PM
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Histotechnician Salary 2

Tim, it depends on the going rate in your area. What does your hospital pay a general histotech? How about other hospitals in the area. I'll bet your personnel dept has that data.

In California it can range from $15 to $35 per hour for histotechs with 5 years experience. The lower is in the rural areas and the higher in the San Francisco or LA areas.

Tim Morken
Supervisor, Electron Microscopy/Neuromuscular Special Studies
Department of Pathology
UC San Francisco Medical Center