[Histonet] moleculer testing

Mark Tarango marktarango <@t> gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 09:01:38 CST 2012

Hi Cynthia,

We do PCR for KRAS and BRAF.  You cant do these by FISH anyway, the
mutations are too small.

We do FISH for ALK and HER2.  For ALK,  there is no antibody that can
detect all the positive cases.  ALK FISH is the only method that can detect
ALK break aparts regardless of the fusion partner for ALK.  If you want to
do PCR for ALK, you will most likely be testing mRNA which isnt too stable
and since all the ALK mutations are not known, you will miss some.  This
could require more tissue too.

For HER2 there are some chromogenic ISH methods.  I still like FISH since
you can look at each color chanel individually.  I never worry that one
color is hiding the other and you can see each signal (no estimation of #
of signals in a cluster).

I dont think having a permanent record on a slide is the most important
thing for molecular testing.

Mark