[Histonet] Re: Histonet Digest, Vol 109, Issue 6

Madeleine Huey madeleinehuey <@t> gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 01:52:59 CST 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Tim
Wheelock
Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2012 3:48 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Tissue Processors

Hello Tim,
Here are some of the advantages I found with Leica-Peloris "rapid
tissue processor" (I can not comment for below 3).

1.  Small biopsies take only 1 hours (VIP5 take at least 2 - 4 hrs)
2.  Regular surgical tissues take only 2 - 4 hours
3.  Fatty breast tissues are very well processor with only 8 hours
(VIP5 take overnight or at least 12-16 hrs)

Most importantly, the integrity of these late grossing and fatty
tissues are far more superior than the VIP5.
Another advantage is cost effective.  We use only fraction of the
reagents (Xylene, alcohol & paraffin) as compare to the VIP.

Here's my suggestion before you make any final decisions;
- gross multiple types of un-used tissues from your lab with multiple
blocks from same tissues
- send one cassette from each tissue type to the vendors for
processing (make sure get protocols from them)
- embed, cut & HE in your lab
Let the pathologist rate the slides.

Happy hunting!
Madeleine Huey BS, HTL & QIHC (ASCP)
Supervisor - Pathology (Histology & IPOX)
madeleine_h <@t> elcaminohospital

Hi Everyone:

I am currently evaluating three tissue processors.
They are the Sakura VIP6, the Leica ASP 6025, and the Thermo-Fisher
Excelsior ES.

I was wondering if people could give me their critical opinions and
preferences on these three machines.
In addition to reliability and ease of use,  I am interested in
people's experience with tech support, software, or any other
factor-positive or negative-that prompted your decision.
I currently have a 14 year old Shandon Hypercenter XP.

Thank you,

Tim Wheelock
Neuropathology Laboratory
Harvard Brain Bank