[Histonet] Peloris problems

Gibson, Philip Philip.Gibson <@t> nuth.nhs.uk
Fri Aug 31 02:33:28 CDT 2012

Hi Angela

Our lab has repeatedly had problems with the Leica Peloris!

Fortunately (for Leica) the Peloris processes tissues very well, so our
lab has persisted with our two machines for around 5 years now.

I believe there is now a "version 2" machine on the market that corrects
many of the niggles (at one point we had AT LEAST one processor crash
every week!), and one of our machines was fitted with the updated parts.

Currently, the processors are running more reliably, partly because
Leica have "forced" us into running longer, cooler wax impregnation
steps that have resulted in a minimum 15 hour long overnight processing
schedule! This has been very bad for our workflow, but apparently it is
stopping the IPA from foaming too much and blocking air lines!

Our only other frustration is the dumb reagent management software which
has an uncanny knack of trying to use the same solutions for the two
retorts, when there are clearly 2 brand new pure solutions available to
use!

It's very frustrating running what (after evaluating several
manufacturers rival products) seems to be by far the best processor on
the market, but one that utterly fails at being reliable!

We also run Shandon pathcentres (poor) and a Tissue Tek VIP (reliably
competent).

I'll warn that this is all very much my own personal opinion!!!

Regards

Phil