[Histonet] Osmium tetroxide staining for lipids

Houston, Ronald Ronald.Houston <@t> nationwidechildrens.org
Fri Aug 24 09:45:01 CDT 2012

Barry,

I suspect they are wanting to employ this on paraffin sections as Sheila mentions using it on routine 4 micron sections>

If that is the case, there are published articles using Sudan Black B and Oil Red O (Histopathology 2002, 41, 75-79) in paraffin sections, and I believe Tim Morken has used OsO4 in paraffin sections.

I have heard of fixed blocks being impregnated with Osmium before processing and then being sectioned; the Osmium bound lipids are stained.

I've even used en-bloc Osmium staining for degenerating myelin with the Marchi technique (now there's a walk down memory lane!!)

All that being said, I would not recommend using OsO4 in a lab that has not previously used it, as it is an extremely hazardous substance to use, and there are other alternatives.

As a matter of interest Sheila, did your pathologist mention what he was wanting to specifically use the osmium for, or is this just some stab in the dark because he read it in some obscure journal?

Ronnie Houston, MS HT(ASCP)QIHC
Anatomic Pathology Manager
ChildLab, a Division of Nationwide Children's Hospital
www.childlab.com

700 Children's Drive
Columbus, OH 43205
(P) 614-722-5450
(F) 614-722-2899
ronald.houston <@t> nationwidechildrens.org<mailto:ronald.houston <@t> nationwidechildrens.org>
www.NationwideChildrens.org<http://www.nationwidechildrens.org/>

"One person with passion is better than forty people merely interested."
~ E.M. Forster