[Histonet] Specimen Blocks too Soft to Cut

Thomas, Nancy nto <@t> stowers.org
Wed Aug 15 15:15:31 CDT 2012

Allyse,
I used to have those problems, too.  I tried JB-4 and T-7100 and L.R. White.  Sometimes I had great results, sometimes not.  The results were never consistent.  Then one glorious day, someone from another lab suggested  I try Immuno-bed.  It is amazing.  I have not had those issues ever again.  It sets up so quickly.  If I make and use the embedding solution in the morning, I can trim and glue my samples to the chuck later that same day.  Unbelievable!   I get it from Poly-Sciences.  Please try it!

Nancy Thomas
Stowers Institute for Medical Research
Kansas City, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Allyse Mazzarelli
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 1:53 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Specimen Blocks too Soft to Cut

This question pertains to anyone that uses the Technovit 7100 kit. My lab has seen problems with humidity recently... (lab is too big to use a dehumidifier). I embed with enough hardener and mix my embedding solution well, but when I take my samples out of the mold they are still soft. I have tried to store them in an air tight container in dessicant beads over night, but that only partially works. Any other suggestions? Has anyone else that uses this kit ran into a similar problem? Thanks in advance to anyone that can send me some advice!!

Sincerely,

Allyse Mazzarelli

NEUROTECH USA INC.