[Histonet] Re: Let's talk forceps

Beckham, Sharon SLB <@t> stowers.org
Fri Apr 6 13:18:58 CDT 2012

Bob, I am so glad that someone else feels the same way as I do.  I'm not the only person of a certain age in this histo world.  Everytime I hear the word forceps, I think about giving birth.  Both my kids were pulled out with forceps back in the '70's.  I HATE that word!  In histology I use tweezers!

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Bob Richmond
Sent: Friday, April 06, 2012 1:09 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Re: Let's talk forceps

Arrrgh! Tweezers. Pickups.

Grumpy old doc notes that in his day (1960s) the word "forceps" meant obstetrical forceps and nothing else.

I was taught how to apply forceps, though medical students weren't actually allowed to. My eldest daughter was delivered by the "Professor of Forceps" (a much beloved practicing obstetrician with ideas far ahead of his time) to a crowd of admiring medical students, with an axis traction bar forceps (don't ask!) in the greatest feat of obstetrical grandstanding I ever witnessed.

I'm quite sure that nobody misses obstetrical forceps! The VBAC came into use not long after I graduated.

Thanks for the tip about the ergonomic, uh, tweezers. Filed for future reference.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN