[Histonet] slide labeling

Setlak, Lisa LSetlak <@t> childrensmemorial.org
Mon Oct 31 11:09:21 CDT 2011

Hi,
Just curious because this questions has come up multiple times from non-histology people so I thought I'd post it here. When labeling slides at microtomy what info do you include on the slide? I know the automated slide labelers that are out there will include patient name, surgical number etc.; but when handwriting slides as you cut what do you write on them? Currently we write the case number, part number and level as well as the cutters initials. After staining we put the permanent label on that has patient name and case number etc (hence two identifiers). Is there anyone out there who hand writes the patient name on the slide or a second identifier on it at the time of microtomy?
Thanks for your help,
Lisa

Lisa V.
Chg., IL