[Histonet] 2012 CPT Codes

Knutson, Deanne DKnutson <@t> primecare.org
Tue Nov 15 14:31:54 CST 2011

Hello Fellow Histonet Followers,

I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to look through the 2012 pathology CPT codes yet?

There is a revision on 88312, 88313, 88314, and 88319.  The revision states to report one unit of the code for each special stain, on each surgical pathology block, cytologic specimen, or hematologic smear.

As an example, let's say we have a specimen where blocks A1, A2, A3, and A4 were grossed in.  The pathologist orders a GMS stain on both A1 and A2.  Right now we would charge an 88312 X 1.  But is the correct interpretation of the 2012 revision mean that in 2012 with this same scenario, we would charge an 88312 X 2?  Or does block mean specimen and we keep billing as we do now?  If block means specimen, then the CPT codes concerning frozen blocks (88331 and 88332) don't make sense.  I am confused and would appreciate how the rest of you are interpreting these revisions.

Another question I have is code 88314.  Does this code only to be used during Mohs surgery?  Or can it be used during a regular pathology frozen section procedure where a special stain is ordered on a frozen tissue block?

Again, thank you for your assistance and thoughts.

Deanne Knutson
dknutson <@t> primecare.org<mailto:dknutson <@t> primecare.org>