[Histonet] motorized cryostat

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Sat May 14 11:49:19 CDT 2011

In spite of the apparent advantage, FS are so uniquely demanding while sectioning, that the manual "touch" could never be substituted by an automatic feeding mechanism.
Buy a good manual cryostat. I always used Leica. Ask for a demo.
René J.

From: Ed Roy <eroy <@t> illinois.edu>
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Sent: Friday, May 13, 2011 5:55 PM
Subject: [Histonet] motorized cryostat

I have a small research lab with an old (very old) Minot IEC microtome cryostat, which is on its last legs. In starting to shop for a new one, I was wondering how much difference a motorized one would make.  We do mostly fresh frozen (unfixed) mouse brain and lymph node sections. Are the sections any better?
Thanks for any opinions on this and any recommendations on a good cryostat at a reasonable cost.

Ed Roy

--
Edward Roy, PhD
Professor of Pathology