[Histonet] modified Gallyas stain for microglia

Tyrone Genade tgenade <@t> gmail.com
Sat May 14 04:50:23 CDT 2011

Hello,

I'm using the modified silver stain of Gallyas (J. Neurosci. Methods
50:159--164, 1993) for microglia. It didn't work first time round so
I'm doing some trouble shooting. My main concern is the shelf life of
the potassium ferroscyanide solution (1 g K3Fe(CN)6 + 0.1 mL H2SO4 per
100 mL). It is now a nice green color and looks a bit darker than
yesterday. Anyone know for how long this solution is good?

If anyone else has used this method I would appreciate if you could
share your experience.

If anyone can suggest another chemical staining protocol for microglia
which works against tissues of various species I would be grateful.

Thanks
--
Tyrone Genade
http://tgenade.freeshell.org