[Histonet] Labelers - Needs and Must Haves

WILLIAM DESALVO wdesalvo.cac <@t> hotmail.com
Tue Mar 1 11:03:16 CST 2011

We just went through an evaluation for cassette printers that produce a 2D bar code. Top features we looked for:

Print Accession#, last name/first initial, and 2D bar code under 10 seconds a cassette
Minimal jamming/defects of printed cassettes, 1 defect/100 cassette or less
Tubed or taped cassettes for hoppers for quick and easy loading
Cost of cassettes available for use
time and complexity of daily, weekly, monthly maintenance of instrument
Ease of use by employees
Interfaced to multiple LIS
Compatible with work flow software and vendor supported

We found that the cassette printers fell into three are types of printers available, tape/ribbon transfer, ink jet and laser etching. All three types have there pluses and minuses.

William DeSalvo, B.S., HTL(ASCP)