[Histonet] CE certification

Lee & Peggy Wenk lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 23 21:36:19 CDT 2011

According to the CMP (certification maintenance program) booklet from ASCP
http://ascp.org/pdf/CMPBooklet.aspx

Page 1:
"The Certification Maintenance Program is required for all individuals who
became newly certified on or after January 1, 2004 and for all active NCA
certificants who are not ASCP certified prior to January 1, 2004 in the
following categories:", and the booklet includes HT and HTL.

Page 2: For everyone else, the booklet states:
"Individuals ASCP certified prior to January 2004 or those who received ASCP
certification prior to the dates indicated on the chart on page 3, are not
required to participate in the program; however, voluntary participation is
encouraged since continuing education provides many personal and
professional benefits." The dates on "page 3" are the Jan. 1, 2004 for HT
and HTL mentioned on page 1.

CAP requires continuing education:
GEN.54200 Continuing Education Phase I
There is a functional continuing clinical laboratory education program
adequate to meet the needs of all personnel.
Evidence of Compliance:
✓ Written policy for continuing laboratory education
REFERENCES
1) Von Needa P. Keep everyone keen on continuing education. Med Lab Observ.
1979(May):117-126
2) Berry CD. The JCAH approach to continuing education in the clinical
laboratory. Lab Med. 1981;12:10-11
3) Umiker W. The role of the pathologist in continuing education programs
for laboratory personnel. Lab Med. 1981;12:18-21
4) Yapit MK. Resources and strategies for a successful CE program. Med Lab
Observ. 1989(Apr):47-566
5) Tiehen A. Competency assessment in the transfusion service. Med Lab
Observ. 1993;25(10):35-42
6) Krienitz DR. Safety education in the laboratory. Lab Med. 1996;27:823-827
7) Nguyen AND, et al. A web-based teaching program for laboratory diagnosis
of coagulation disorders. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2000;124:588-593

GEN.54400 Personnel Records Phase II
Technical personnel records include all of the following mandatory items.
1. Summary of training and experience
2. Copy of academic degree or transcript
3. License, if required by state
4. Certification, if required by state or employer
5. Description of current duties and responsibilities as specified by the
laboratory director: a) Procedures the individual is authorized to perform,
b) Whether supervision is required for specimen processing, test performance
or result reporting, c) Whether supervisory or director review is required
to report patient test results
6. Records of continuing education
7. Records of radiation exposure where applicable (such as with in vivo
radiation testing), but not required for low exposure levels such as certain
in-vitro testing
8. Work-related incident and/or accident records
9. Dates of employment
REFERENCES
1) CLSI. Training and Competence Assessment; Approved Guideline—Third
Edition. CLSI Document GP21-A3. (ISBN 1-56238-691-3).
CLSI, 940 West Valley Road, Suite 1400, Wayne, PA 19087-1898 USA, 2009
2) Harmening DM, et al. Defining roles of medical technologists and medical
laboratory technicians.

Does your place of employment have continuing education requirements? Maybe
that's what your boss is "quoting". Our lab department has a written CE
policy that states all full time technicians and technologists need a
minimum of 12 hours CE each year. (part time tech need 6/year, as do lab
assistants, office personnel and autopsy assistants.) Less than our required
CE, our yearly evaluation goes down, more than that and our yearly
evaluation goes up, in the category of CE/professionalism.

Peggy Wenk